(1) Negotiate with suppliers on value-added components in their service including shipping and handling, installation (LED lights), and recycling.
(2) Establish Contract Supplier Performance Measures where possible.
(3) Ask the supplier for visibility into conflict minerals reporting, ISO-14001, ISO 9001, and ROHS compliance. If commercially feasible, consider negotiating the downstream, product end of life recuperation program with the supplier. Depending on the OEM/reseller, they might derive value in receiving technology end of life.
(4) Include quality assurance and warranty clauses in the contract to ensure an extended higher quality of the product.
(5) Consider purchasing in bulk to maximize leverage.