Procure higher efficiency machines; minimize water usage and energy consumption
INDUSTRIAL LAUNDRY AND DRY CLEANING EQUIPMENT
7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy
UN SDG Target
By 2030, double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency
Level of Effort
Level of Effort Scale
1 -Quick Wins: solution involves adding criteria for the good or service being purchased (ex: certifications), minimal internal process changes.
2 -Long Term Adoption: solution requires some changes to internal processes and/or more capital investment (ex: digital transformation to reduce paper use).
3 – Disruptive Opportunities: requires significant investment and changes to internal processes (ex: retrofitting building)
• Conduct an internal assessment to determine the cost per machine, including volume purchases and associated maintenance costs.
• Conduct an internal assessment to determine the energy usage per machine.
• Review supplier contracts and make sure certifications are available.
• Determine the specifications for each machine and benchmark against other widely used machines.
Improve current machinery or exchange for higher efficiency machines for long-term cost savings, scope to establish a new set of operational standards to obtain certifications, and engage with stakeholders to consider end-of-life machine recycling programs. Scope to invest in commercial cleaning IoT and automation.
Reduced consumption of water and energy with improved and more efficient machinery.
Strategy Build & Execution
• Perform and analyze results from the assessment.
• Approach existing suppliers and discuss their long-term solutions and targets regarding transportation.
• Utilize the Energy Star calculator (See the link in Resources) for your machine and compare it with certified low-energy use machines.
• Evaluate and determine your best fit options with a Request for Information (RFI), by including your current suppliers in the process as well.
Supplier Negotiation & Contract
• Review contracts with current suppliers for the option to exchange for energy-efficient machines.
• Agree on quality and maintenance accountability and responsibility, quality management, the turnaround time for refitting your current machines, and operation transitions.
• With new suppliers, leverage the volume purchase of machines through negotiations. Award higher consideration to suppliers already dealing with high-efficiency washers and dryers.
Supplier Performance & Management
• Monitor and record new equipment operation and maintenance costs, and water consumption levels. Compare the collected data with historical data and evaluate the cost savings generated.
• Connect and communicate with the high-efficinecy equipment suppliers on the advances in technologies and equipment efficiencies.
• Monitor annual CSR reporting (internal and external) of suppliers and stakeholders.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU
Did you like this idea? Our sustainable procurement database is an open forum for knowledge sharing across organizations. If you found this helpful, let us know if you will be implementing this idea or have suggestions for areas we should explore next.