(1) Conduct an internal assessment to determine the pallet requirements:
- life cycle of pallets in your business by mapping out the purchase, logistics approach, and disposal processes.
- cost per pallet including volume of purchases, disposal costs, and investigate pallet usage.
- pallet supplier contracts and certifications.
- pallet specifications (such as type of material used, weight, load capacity, % recycled or refurbished, structural design).
(2) Calculate the footprint of your wooden pallets using this EPA certified calculator.
(Carrano, Andres L, Thorn, Brian K, & Woltag, Henry. (2014). Characterizing the carbon footprint of wood pallet logistics. Forest Products Journal, 64(7-8), 232-241.)
(Anil, Sebastian K, Ma, Junfeng, Kremer, Gül E, Ray, Charles David, & Shahidi, Shirin M. (2020). Life cycle assessment comparison of wooden and plastic pallets in the grocery industry. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 24(4), 871-886.)