Utilize energy efficient light fixtures
12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
UN SDG Target
By 2020, achieve the environmentally sound management of chemicals and all wastes throughout their life cycle, in accordance with agreed international frameworks, and significantly reduce their release to air, water and soil in order to minimize their adverse impacts on human health and the environment
Level of Effort
Level of Effort Scale
1 -Quick Wins: solution involves adding criteria for the good or service being purchased (ex: certifications), minimal internal process changes.
2 -Long Term Adoption: solution requires some changes to internal processes and/or more capital investment (ex: digital transformation to reduce paper use).
3 – Disruptive Opportunities: requires significant investment and changes to internal processes (ex: retrofitting building)
1. Assess the performance of your current lighting system, which includes energy cost, procurement cost, life expectancy, and maintenance during its lifetime.
2. Compare the results with the expected performance of the LED lighting system on the same metrics.
3. Communicate with the supplier to gain information to leverage your position and determine the possibility of influencing their practices.
4. Evaluate your current maintenance contracts with suppliers to analyze their probability of the supplier accommodating the change.
5. Energy simulation tool to perform cost and energy comparison of upgrading to a more efficient energy system.
6. Calculate the cost savings and check if it outweighs procurement costs and the upgrade to the new lighting system.
LED lighting systems are more energy-efficient, and longer lifespan hence cost savings and reduced associated risk.
Significant reduction in carbon emission, higher lifespan reduced material waste sent to landfill, and energy savings.
Strategy Build & Execution
1. Contact your current suppliers to discuss cost-efficient light fixture options; if necessary, seek out new potential suppliers for the upgrade.
2. Ensure that your company (contractors and employees who may be inconvenienced by the upgrade) are aware of the reasoning behind the upgrade.
3. Install the new lighting system in your facility.
4. Monitor costs and maintain the new lighting system.
Supplier Negotiation & Contract
1. Negotiate the proper disposal of the lightbulbs with your supplier, which were replaced by LED lights.
2. Include a warranty clause that allows for replacement given new technology that gets released within a specific period or, if not, then a discount for purchasing the latest technology from the supplier.
Supplier Performance & Management
1. Regular reports on cost-saving achieved from utility bills; when the time comes for the new light fixtures to be replaced, compare it to historical data to determine how often traditional light fixtures were replaced compared to your new products. It should be evident that the new light fixtures require less replacement; if not this issue needs to be discussed and resolved with your suppliers.
2. Schedule annual meetings to discuss new technologies or products released in the market for sustainable paper materials and the scope for such products' procurement.