Utlilize steam equipment to improve energy efficiency
9. Build Resilient Infrastructure, Promote Inclusive and Sustainable Industrialization and Foster Innovation
UN SDG Target
By 2030, upgrade infrastructure and retrofit industries to make them sustainable, with increased resource-use efficiency and greater adoption of clean and environmentally sound technologies and industrial processes, with all countries taking action in accordance with their respective capabilities
Level of Effort
Level of Effort Scale
1 -Quick Wins: solution involves adding criteria for the good or service being purchased (ex: certifications), minimal internal process changes.
2 -Long Term Adoption: solution requires some changes to internal processes and/or more capital investment (ex: digital transformation to reduce paper use).
3 – Disruptive Opportunities: requires significant investment and changes to internal processes (ex: retrofitting building)
1. Evaluate and analyze the amount of money and time that your company can invest into helping your supplier achieve these changes which could result in long-term benefits for your company.
2. Use Energy Star, link in the resource section, to help suppliers identify the areas of their steam system that can undergo energy efficiency improvements.
By saving energy, the supplier is also saving on the costs associated with energy. The recommended strategies have the potential for increased connectivity with the supplier's operations, potentially fostering a stronger relationship with them. Energy prices are very volatile, so by reducing energy usage, there is improved price stability.
There is a high degree of greenhouse gas emissions associated with the high energy outputs of current paper production processes. By reducing energy usage, emissions also get reduced.
Strategy Build & Execution
1. Conduct an internal assessment to gauge the amount of resources you can devote to helping the supplier achieve energy efficiency improvements.
2. Contact eligible suppliers and work with them on the various ways that they can improve their steam systems based on the targets detailed.
3. Assist in the implementation of the energy-saving programs for their steam systems.
Supplier Negotiation & Contract
1. Implement check measures into the contract to ensure that the supplier follows through with the implementation of the energy-saving program.
2. Ensure that the supplier is compliant with energy star certifications or coordinate with suppliers to reach an agreement on which guidelines to follow from the below document.
Supplier Performance & Management
1. Regularly keep track of the energy usage during manufacturing, compare historical dat on monthly energy spent. cost saving should be realized with improved machinary.
2.Discuss the emergence of new technologies in the market based on the conditions of steam systems and the necessity for applying these technology changes.